Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The box

         Today I opened his box.  A box that sits up high in my closet.  Just knowing it's there wells up emotions in me I can't even explain.  And today I opened it.  I have not touched it, nor have I made much effort to think about the fact that my sons entire life is contained in a 15"x 20" box.  I could feel my heartbeat accelerate as I pulled it down and sat it on the edge of my bed.  I know what's in it so I'm not quite sure why I had the sudden urge to bring it down.  I am one of those that likes to hold onto things for memories sake, and lately I find myself letting go of a lot of stuff that just doesn't seem to matter so much.  But this, if there is one thing I would grab on my way out the door in a fire, it would be this box.  I know he is not in this box, nor does the box contain who he is, but this box is all I have left of him, well the physical him.  The gown he was dressed in, the blanket he was swaddled in.  The heart shaped box I was given at the hospital containing bracelets, a tiny hat and footprints.  And then there were the pictures.  Being a photographer I thought a lot about how I would photograph my baby, but instead I am left with just a handful of horribly composed, awfully lit photographs of my precious son.  And yet they are my most treasured photos.  I was however blessed to have someone there to take a few digital photos with my camera (much better than the hospital ones) and to me he looks perfect.  This was the first time I had looked at the pictures of him that the hospital took.  I drew around the curves of his face with my finger.  I kept trying to hold onto the image because somehow I feel like I'm going to forget what he looks like.  I see so many faces all day and I just want to remember his.

       I like the image I have of him in my head, and in my dreams.  Perfect, angelic, happy, complete.  I think about what he would have been like as a newborn.  I'm quite certain that even through my grogginess I would still think he was perfect.  I am mourning what I don't have right now with him.  Nursing, sleepless nights, cuddling, baby yawns, bonding, crying (me due to lack of sleep) I spent the last few months mourning pregnancy and now I'm mourning what would be my newborn.  Before I couldn't look at a pregnant woman, and now I can't look at a baby.  It's amazing how the mind works through grief.

      I wasn't sure I would ever open the box for fear that it would send me right back to the day four months ago exactly that I packed up this box and put it in my closet.  I thought I would become a mess on the floor unable to move from my bedroom for days because the pain was to intense.  Instead, the familiar smell of the hospital filled the room and a few tears streamed down my cheeks and I took a moment to take it all in, and then I closed it.

            Today I opened his box and then I closed it.  Today I opened a wound to find it healing.  Today I remembered my son.  I put his box back up in my closet, not really sure when I will open it again.  I am so glad that I have these things of his, but I realized I don't need a box to remember my son.  When my days on this earth are through the box will remain, well,  a box.  But I will be with my son.  I will miss him everyday until then, but today I got to remember him.

14 comments:

  1. I'm telling you I seriously could have written this post- (and I think I have before actually) I feel the EXACT SAME WAY! All of it! From the thing I would grab in a fire- to those horrible hospital photos to tracing my fingers around his face- wishing somehow I could bring that moment back- remember what it was actually like to hold him again!
    You're so right! You will be with him- and you will remember him- always!
    Hugs to you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you got to remember your son today. Thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you hugs as you remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're brave... I haven't opened my boxes yet.

    Thinking of you and sweet angel Nathan.

    Hugs,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss. It's nice to have that box - a little something to show Nathan was real. The box is a pathetic nothing compared to what should have been, but it is a comfort to have something. I have a box for my Jeremiah, but no box for my Miles - the hospital didn't bother much with us the second time around.

    So glad you found a little healing in Nathan's box today. Sending you a hug...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you have something physical to hold to help you remember. But more glad that you have the promise of being with him again. Many hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you as you remember your sweet Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure how I would manage getting Carleigh's chest out of the house in the event of a fire but I would sure try hard! The things in there are irreplaceable. I don't go in there often but just knowing they are there comforts me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by to let you know that Nathan has a butterfly on my site. I hope it brings you a smile today. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I stopped by to read...I can relate,I trace Audrey's pictures too and often.
    Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you have a box containing memories of little Nathan. I looked at the date that you lost him....Oct 15 2009. That was the date that our little baby Thando (meaning 'love') was going to be born. Instead he was born on September 8th and he was a still born. It has been 6 months now. I'm amazed at where we are in our journey. It was so dark at first. Now it's easier. He's always on my mind as I'm sure little Nathan is in your mind. That's how we'll keep their memory alive. All the best.

    Mumbi

    ReplyDelete
  12. It took me a very long time to open my daughters box. It's been 4 yrs now and I still struggle to do it. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a blog about my angel baby Mason. I was wondering if I could post this as a guest blog on my blog. The link is www.shawfortwins.blogspot.com. I look forward to your reply.
    Thanks,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete