Sunday, July 31, 2011

faded memory

As I lay awake in bed not able to pinpoint this aching, gnawing feeling I'm having it hits me that I  cannot remember his face.  I am suddenly filled with such immeasurable sadness that my sweet baby boy, who has not yet been gone two years has become so distant a memory that I cannot recall the curve of his face, the fullness of his lips, nor the shape of his nose.  I quickly look to photos of my other children trying to draw up some semblance of an image of him but I have lost it.  I am reminded that he is not here to see all that has happened.  That he is not here to celebrate in the joys our family has celebrated.  He is not here for me to kiss goodnight and tuck in bed.  Life has become so busy and scheduled that I seem to have let him slowly slip away from me, as if it were all a bad dream.   How could I have let his memory fade as if it were the last bit of light burning from a candle to dim to light a room.  A memory that once filled my every waking thought.  How quickly I have settled into being a mother to three children.  BUT I HAVE FOUR CHILDREN I wanted to shout for so long, but that has now been drowned out by the need to be accepted and to keep things clean, without a need to explain and burden someone else with such a sad story.  Why have I let my sweet boy go, how could I move on without even noticing he had ever left my thoughts.  I speak his name often but cannot recall his face.  What a painful feeling it is to love your child whom you cannot hold.  And even now as I watch my sweet baby E's chest rise and fall with each breath I am reminded how truly amazing this life is we have been given.  How sweet and short the time we have here is.   How one day I will see my precious Nathan's face again, and when I do I will know it right away. I carry his memory in my heart always.

7 comments:

  1. but that has now been drowned out by the need to be accepted and to keep things clean, without a need to explain and burden someone else with such a sad story.

    THIS is exactly how I feel these days! I normally just answer "yes" now when people ask me if Cooper is my first. I normally don't even feel guilty about this answer anymore...

    I hope you're feeling more peace today ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have days where I can't remember Aidan's face then I look at my son and I can see Aidan again. I also have a lot of pictures around the house, but I don't like to always refer to his pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. It's nice to have the distance from the raw grief we've experienced, but it does also feel like our babies fade, so that brings a different sadness. I rarely bring up my losses because it is awkward, but if my kids are around they will sometimes correct people and make sure their baby brothers are not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my baby passed a month ago. i still cry for her and long for her. i cant stop looking at her pics. i fear that i might forget her face the minute i get busy with work or other stuff. sometimes when i laugh out loud i feel that im betraying her memory. but i realized that she's now my angel and her memory will be in my heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true that our hearts will always know them even when their memories fade from our minds. Yes, we will know them right away once we are together again. I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this post is older but I had to comment on what you said about being the mother to 4 children.
    Today my husband and I had breakfast with his boss. He showed us pictures of his kids and asked after ours. I of course pulled out my phone to show pictures as well. I scrolled quickly past the pictures of my youngest. I showed him just the pictures of my two boys here on Earth. We talked of kids and again I talked only of my two here on Earth. But I so wanted to shout, I have 3 boys. I am the Mother to three children! I wanted to show pictures of all three. But I did not, instead I waited till we were in the car and cried for this weakness I have. I wasn't strong enough to say I am the Mother to three boys. I understand what you have written, we are not in the same place in time, but I understand.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many years have passed since my first child died at 3 days old. After enough time, maybe 8 to 10 years, I simply realized that most of us who are bound here on this Earth become the slaves of daily ritual. Still when a mother reads the beautiful words of another like Nathan's mother and the others who commented here, the wound and the scar are still there and ache with the rest of you, some women get tatooed nowadays to show on their skin something of their loss, while all of us a tatooed in the heart.

    ReplyDelete