Thursday, September 22, 2011

....

There are days like today when I am hard pressed to find adequate words for what I'm feeling, so I come here; I type out words on a keyboard to try to form emotion.  I was coming to the realization that it has been almost two years, and yet I couldn't understand where or how time has passed so quickly.  You see a part of me is stuck in that day. Life kept going on, but as for me; I was just going through the motions never really moving forward. Everyone thought it was sad, then they moved on and suddenly I was alone.  I have this beautiful family and I'm doing what I love and yet a huge piece of me, of us, is missing.  I wondered how I could possibly be sad or depressed having all I've been blessed with, and yet day after day I fell deeper into the sadness.  Suddenly the car I drive, the house I live in, the clothes I wear, the things I have don't matter at all because really I would give it all away in a heart beat to have him here. To have my complete family.
That's what life is about anyways, isn't it?  Family. The relationships we build, and sometimes destroy usually over something petty because we aren't big enough to own our emotions or live up to our responsibilities to one another.  We blame our upbringing or others on who we are and what we have become, and while I believe life experiences shape who we become they do not define who we are.  I could be bitter and resentful because I know what it feels like to hold a dead child. I know what it feels like to want to shake that child alive to want to shake yourself awake, to want to scream so loud and nothing.comes.out.
I suppose as long as we live in this world, full of sadness and disappointments, broken promises, and broken lives, we'll  never know true happiness. There are glimpses of it for me usually in my children's laughter, my husbands embrace, a sweet note from a dear friend, or someone saying his name.  Nathan. 
These are the things that get me through the days where life doesn't make any sense.  Where God seems just out of reach; where I let my life experiences speak for me.  I want to stand up and say, there must be something more.  More than just I had a son who died and it was sad.  I want his life to matter.  I want my life to matter.  I have known brokenness my whole life, I won't let it leave me empty.  I will choose to press forward, honoring my son, loving my family, and forgiving what isn't mine to be unforgiving of. I want to leave this world a better place because of him.

8 comments:

  1. I think that ache in our heart is to remind us that we were made for something better than this. That this was not how it was suppose to be. That, in fact, this world is not our home.

    But, oh, how I wish I didn't have that ache in my heart. But then would I have truly realized how each child is a miracle? How precious my family is to me? How material things don't really matter...but eternal things?

    What you wrote was beautiful and an echo of my heart. Thank you sharing this...
    Karen @Gottjoy! (I can't get on
    my Google acct to comment)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully said.... my heart is feeling the same way today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always thinking of you.... always..... Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing woman and I think about if it weren't for Nathan I would never have known you. You have written so powerfully here about him and I think given words to those that don't have any.
    Of course I know you wish things were different (as I do too) but I want you to know that Nathan's life reaches far beyond your's- he's made it up here too and in everyone who I know and so on- it is like that ripple in the pond. You will never know how something you have said (because of Nathan) has changed someone and therefore changed someone else... and so on and so on...
    but at the end of the day- I get the hurt and the sadness and the feeling that you just with somehow things could have been different.
    Thinking of you.
    and Remembering Nathan!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, for you and your blog...Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You DO matter! Your sweet little Nathan matters! I know I am just one person and yet, I am near giddy with excitement for your visit because you and your life and your testimony and your precious little boy's whole life matter and you've already made my world a better place!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have lost a baby ourselves a year back and I can say that the world never seems to be the same. Its like losing your innocence. You just can't look at things the same way.
    On another note you are a wonderful person and has a great perspective. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Somehow reading this blog makes me feel that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was deeply moved to read your post. Our son, also named Nathan passed at 18 weeks gestation from a blood clot in the placenta. Our next pregnancy was healthy. We bonded for nine months with our daughter....she passed 38 minutes after birth, no explanation.
    I have made it my mission to help other hurting families...it appears to be an epidemic!
    I write a daily column for a Christian Magazine, The Wordsmith Journal. It is for anyone who has experienced a loss.
    Sometimes, even I need affirmation that I am just fine, and normal. Thank you for my reminder today!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete