Sunday, January 10, 2010

More than a patient



          I went to my doctor on Friday to follow up on unfortunately, a miscarriage.  No sooner than I found out, I lost it.  That's not really the point of this post though.  When I arrived I was greeted by the ladies at the front desk, they have always  made me feel so welcomed, they always say hello and say my name as I'm walking in, something I had never had with any doctors office, EVER!  The nurse brought me back for a blood draw, embraced me in a hug and I felt so understood.  After my blood draw which took two sticks, one in each arm because I pulled my arm by mistake and pulled the needle out, I waited to see the midwife.  I was greeted by her and again approached with compassion. They explained things to me in a way I could understand and made sure to remind me it's not my fault.  The doctor came a few minutes later and offered his thoughts and concerns and in that moment I felt like I became more than just a patient. That I mattered.  I have only been with this office since discovering I was pregnant with Nathan and I wasn't sure where I was going to go since my midwife had left the practice I had been at for 8 years, and their staff was less than helpful.  I was referred by a friend, and on a wing and a prayer I decided to try them out. In the beginning I wanted to see the midwife since that was what I was most familiar with, and having never seen a male doctor before I wasn't sure how comfortable I would be.    My first appointments with him seemed like any appointment I would have had, they were brief but concise and my questions were always answered.  When I first found out about Nathan I was devastated, as one can imagine, but in those days following I saw a different side of my doctor, one less worried about formalities and guidelines and seemingly more concerned about my overall well being.  I think this is the way that all doctors offices should operate.  I have read so many other blogs on here about women who's doctors were less than helpful, less than compassionate, or to full of pride to admit when a mistake was made.  I am here to say there are good doctors out there.  I can't imagine the toll it must take on doctors to go from room to room.  Sometimes offering hope and a cure other times discussing remaining days or weeks. To tell one mother that they have successfully conceived a child after years of trying to tell another that hers did not make it.  Informing a family that their loved one is cancer free and another that the cancer has spread. To come out of the operating room victorious to coming out with "we did everything we could."  It is the doctors that still have compassion that end up being the best ones.  We hold doctors to a higher standard because we are entrusting them with our lives and the lives of our loved ones.  I feel blessed and fortunate to have the ones that make me feel like I'm more than a patient, I'm a person.  My hope and prayer for those of you who are finding yourselves feeling more like a patient and less like a person that you will find a doctor with compassion and understanding. As far as the beginning of this post, yes we are devastated but not discouraged.  I really contemplated even sharing that we suffered a miscarriage so soon after losing Nathan.  But I think like me there are so many other woman who have lost and quickly wanted to conceive again.  We do not feel like this is the end of our journey, and even after having lost another one, we still have faith that we will bring a healthy baby home from the hospital again.     


18 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you for your miscarriage. Every mother is different. Some choose to wait a while before trying again and some start right away. All that matters is what helps you through all of it. I'm glad you have found a great doctor who is compassionate and understanding. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about this. This is definitely not the end of your journey. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a compassionate doctor like yours makes all the difference in the world. I feel the exact same way about mine. We struggled through very early miscarriages and my doctor and her staff were so caring and helpful. So sorry to hear about another loss and I hope and pray that soon you DO bring home another healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((hugs)) I'm so sorry to hear about the miscarriage...You're in my thoughts and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so so sorry.

    I know you've been to my blog and have probably seen that we too lost a baby 4 months after Owen's death.
    It was (and still is) a really painful loss.

    I did not, however, have a compassionate doctor or doctor's office, but having one now has made a HUGE difference. I am so thankful to God that you have a caring doctor and midwife and the nurses! It is a precious gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tribute to your doctor! We were friends with my doctor in real life and served on the board with her at our pregnancy center. When we lost Rebekah she cried a lot and had her husband come in to offer my husband support. She also prayed with us and Dale prayed over her. That set the tone of my heartbreaking delivery.

    I had not gone back for my six weeks because I was still tender emotionally. My husband saw my dr at a store and she knew I cancelled my appt and told my husband she understands, but wants to see me in Feb. Then I saw her this weekend and she loved on me and told me the same thing. So, I guess I need to gear (and pray) myself up for that office visit=).

    And I am so sorry about the loss of your baby. I will keep you in my prayers as you heal from your miscarriage.

    Blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  7. KC-

    I am so sorry.....and I know exactly how you feel as I miscarried on Dec 28. Thankful for your doctors, though, and just realizing how God surrounds you with the exact people you need when you need them.

    Again I am so sorry and my prayers are with you.

    Love,
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very, very sorry about the loss of your baby! I too felt a need to get pregnant ASAP after Andrew but felt scared at the same time. Ali Jane came 15 months later. I too had a miscarriage and remember how bad it sucked! So am thinking of you- and so sad for you! And to sound like a broken record- I also have an AMAZING doc and nurses- though like some of the others had a HORRIBLE experience with the doc on call the night Andrew died...
    I love your attitude- your outlook! Praying a new babe will grow and soon- that we will be reading posts of a growing healthy babe!
    Wishing all the best!
    Hugs-
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. I completely understand wanting to try again. I wish you all the best. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for reading my story. I'm so sorry you've endured another loss. Im so glad you have a great connection with your doctor. I adore mine as well and know she did everything she could for my daughter. Sending love and hope to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm so sorry for you losses. I just read through you blog. What a painful story - you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry about your miscarriage. :( I am encouraged to hear that you have such a wonderful team taking care of you. I wish that every dr could be compassionate and really care for each of their patients like they were a close friend. I just recently met my new ob and the office staff and I love what I have encountered so far! I feel so taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry that you've miscarried, KC. But I'm glad you were met with such understanding and compassionate care at such a devastating time. Hoping for you. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart aches for you. I am so sorry for your losses.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry for your loss. I just want to share a scripture with you that I heard today,and it touched my heart. "May God of Hope fill you with all joy and PEACE as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

    My prayer for you is that our God of hope fills you with such peace that it is unmistakenly from our God and that others may see it shine through you.

    I will be thinking and praying for you and your family. My heart is heavy for you.

    Sending my love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  16. i have just read many of your entries.... i am so sorry. i too have joined this horrid club, 4 times. my baby's first christmas this year was at the cemetery as well. bless your heart and your family. my prayers are with you, i'm sorry that this is a pain that you understand. ((((((((HUGS))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know how I found you but i guess God does. I just found out a week ago that i was pregnant and today I sit here knowing it is gone. I too lost a baby in october. i was 16 weeks along and i don't know why this keeps happening. I am encouraged by your blog and thank you for your honesty.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my first visit here....

    We had Isaac last year, on April 8th, we lost him to Anencephaly 70 minutes later.

    I miscarried another pregnancy, 8 weeks, January 7th of this year.

    Thinking of you and reading through your journey...

    xo M.

    ReplyDelete