Monday, January 25, 2010

Random acts of kindness.

Have you ever wondered about those people you see on t.v that are getting a new house, or a new car, or their debt is being taken care of, or their medical bills will be paid for?  I have always wondered what runs through the mind of someone who has just been given a second chance at something.  Someone cared enough about them to make a difference in their life.  And what of the giver, what do they receive in all of this?  I have heard it said that the reward is in the giving not in the receiving.  I myself have experienced both ends of this and  I can honestly say that yes it is far greater to give than it is to receive.  My only exception to that rule is matters of the heart.  There is no greater feeling to me then the one of my children wrapping their little arms around my neck and pouring out all of their love to me.  The way I feel when I am embraced in a genuine hug by a good friend, or the feeling of understanding, acceptance and love I have received from the many moms that have lost a precious child.

       I think about the mother who lost everything she had during a tragic natural disaster.  By the truck loads people pour in to help.  Assisting with food, medical aid, and a place to sleep.  She is one of the lucky few however that is blessed with a new home.  She is a pillar in her community, always doing for everyone else with no expectations of anything in return.  It enthuses her to be so compassionate to others, and her reward is the feeling she gets from helping.  When the home she was given was finally built, she filled it with other families that had lost just as much.  You see on that very sad day she did not just loose her home, she lost her family.  She understood the greatest of tragedies.  Homes and material things can be replaced, her family cannot.  So instead of keeping the house all to herself she made it a home for many.


 What about the other acts of kidness that are rarely heard about, either because they aren't "made for t.v" or they seem so small that it wouldn't matter to anyone else.   Those seem to be the ones that make the most difference in some ones life.  Sometimes the simplest gestures can change some ones life.  I challenge you to do just one random act of kindness. it does not have to be something grand, and it doesn't even need to cost anything.  No strings, no expectations.  I assure you the reward will be great.

If you have ever given or received a "random" act of kindness please leave a comment so others can get ideas.

And now for something I received from the very sweet Katy.  This came in the mail today and it made my heart smile.  I know my son may have only weighed one pound but he had weight in this world and I love that he is being honored.  Thank you from the very bottom of my heart Katy.



 I think of all the moms and dads, daughters and sons, brothers and sisters, grandparents, aunts and uncles who have had to learn how to live life without their loved ones.  I will be saying a prayer for all of those who have had to say goodbye to soon.

8 comments:

  1. Katy is so sweet! You are right. Nathan may have weighed only one pound, but he does have weight in this world and is so honored. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy has done such a wonderful job!! It is beautiful!!! I know I love hearing of those random acts of kindness. I think they can really inspire people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love random acts of kindness. It's just the little things that can really brighten you day, isn't it? I'm glad you have another nice way to remember sweet Nathan by.

    Send me an email with the dates when you'll be in town, so I can put it on my calendar. I forgot to write it down the last time you told me.

    Hugs,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet!

    When I lost my Lilly, I had a dear friend bring me some roses. I received a sweet hug from an elderly lady at my church who had experienced the loss of a baby earlier in her life.

    You're right. It is small things that make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started following your blog and I too had a stillbirth April 2006, this was after more than a decade of battling infertility. I was blessed with a son a little over a year after and had a miscarriage again in February 2009, so I so understand your pain. There are still people who really do care, sorry about your loss and all the best.

    ReplyDelete