Every time I have been asked what I want for Christmas I draw a blank. Everything I was going to ask for this year was going to be for the baby. The only thing I want for Christmas is him. I know that is one gift santa can't deliver. Christmas morning will be hard as I watch my children open their presents, I will likely be thinking about the one that isn't here. I feel awful about that. I am so thankful for the blessings that I have in my children. I just can't help but feel like a part of them, of me is missing.
I have been avoiding my mailbox like the plague, I knew it would be inundated with Christmas cards, some from families with new babies, everyone looking so happy. I wasn't ready for that. I decided that I may want to check my mail incase there are any checks in there. Although more likely that there would be bills I needed to pay. So grudgingly I opened it, and as I anticipated, packed to the brim were beautiful gold foil laced envelopes adorned with holiday address labels. Each one made out with such love. I grabbed a circular flyer and shoved the cards in between two of the pages and threw them in my purse. Then I grabbed a large yellow package out that was addressed to me. Not quite sure what was inside I hesitated to open it. I placed it on the counter, put away a few things and then came back to it. I began to open the package and about two seconds later realized what it was. My heart smiled. I had forgotten all about it. Tucked inside the package was a beautiful ornament that Kelly from sufficient grace had sent. It was perfect, and beautiful and lifted my spirits. I wish I was placing a gift under the tree for my baby boy, rather than an ornament on the tree to remember him by. I can't help but feel like this is the first of many years that Christmas will be different for me. I will need to find new ways to be joyful during this season. Remembering the real meaning of Christmas, and that my son is spending his first Christmas with Him.
As for the ornament, It found it's home on my tree.............
Feeling my spirit slightly lifted I decided to go out an about back into the real world that continues to go on even though mine is full of brokenness. I was hoping for a little bit of inspiration, due to my feeling slightly forgotten by God. And there it was painted in the sky, His promise. I rejoiced in this because He is good, ALWAYS. This day is shaping up to be much more than I thought it could. I even found a little joy in it. And a promise that is never forgotten.
Just like the day I gave birth to Nathan, He reminded me of his promise then too....
(sorry for the quality taken with moms camera phone; taken on 10/15/09 the day he was born from my hospital room)
I will never forget His promise, or that He is there even when I don't think He is. He reminds me of this often. I am learning how to have joy all over again. Learning to be thankful for the things that aren't seen, but felt. And for the fact that my son, although I miss him with every ounce of my being, is spending Christmas with Him.
Wishing all of you a blessed season....
.jpg)
.jpg)

Thinking of you so much this first Christmas without him. That ornament is absolutely wonderful and you're right- it is the first of many Christmases changed. The angel atop our tree we got the first year without our Andrew- and he has so many ornaments now it makes my heart smile- and new ones already this season.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm glat that you remember His promise. I love the pictures or the rainbows! The odd thing is that I saw one the day I came home from that first 'big' ultrasound- so full of hope- and I looked to the heavens and God had sent us a rainbow. I smiled thinking how blessed I was remembering his promise- Looking back I know how big that promise truly was that day. It's o.k. They are safe. All will be well.
Sending huge hugs to you-
Laura
The ornament is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI am experiencing much of the same feelings as you are feeling. I just wished Christmas would have waited a few more months. Although, I think it will difficult no matter how many months it waited.
We do a yearly Christmas card that everyone looks forward to each year, especially the children. Most of the time they are cheesy, but always fun. This year I had already picked out how I wanted to do our card, but sadly it included Rebekah. I just couldn't bear to do a homemade card this year. But I wanted others to remember her and see her name . So we bought storebought cards and I signed "in memory of Rebekah Joy" on each card. I was sad, but also happy to see her name..to write her name...to remind people she is part of our family. I probably won't do it next year, but wanted to this year.
I know this holiday season is hard for you (and me) and you do what is best for you. I am right there with you, missing a part of my heart so desperately. You encouraged me by reminding me of His promises!!! Keep leaning on Him, and remind me to do that also:)
Hugs....Karen
It is so nice to receive a package in the mail like you got from Kelly.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful gift that God gave you, reminding you of His promise with a rainbow. I love when He shows us that He sees us...and that He will not leave us alone, even in the pits of sorrow. My heart aches with you as I read your words...I'm so grateful the ornament was a blessing to you.
ReplyDeletePraying for you and your family...that you will continue to feel the comfort of His promise and peace as He carries you...
(((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteGod is good in the good times and God is good in the bad times.
What a beautiful ornament! I just read your story from the beginning, and I am so so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDelete{{{hugs}}}
We lost our baby, a girl to Trisomy 16 this summer. She would have been due in February also.
What a great ornament. And how amazing that you saw a rainbow the day you lost Nathan. I will think of him next time I see a rainbow.
ReplyDeleteI made my husband get the mail the entire month of December as I didn't want to open any cards. I couldn't bare to see other people's children on them. And none mentioned Ella.