Sunday, December 6, 2009
He's gone
I can still remember the expression on her face. I could see the reflection of the screen in her eyes as she went from concerned to scared. I could hear her voice crack as she told me the words that would change me for the rest of my life. I remember the feeling of complete helplessness. And then....
He's gone.
I looked over my shoulder to see. He wasn't moving. No heartbeat. My body started to shake uncontrollably and the tears fell with no effort at all. It was all I could do to keep myself from screaming hysterically. I walked through the office in a daze, waiting, waiting for a different answer. Waiting for the same answer. He confirms. This time I don't look. A quiet moan escapes with my breath. I could hear my tears hitting the paper as I lay on the table...
He's gone.
I can still smell the bleach from the linens on the hospital bed, and the faint sound of a baby's heartbeat in another room through the thin walls. I looked at him and his face was sullen. An expression I had never seen him make. I ached. He held my hand and I wanted to give him something in return. I can't.
He's gone.
I can hear them whispering outside my door. One by one they came, calloused by a loss they have seen many times before. And then there was one, she pulled her glasses down from her eyes and looked into mine. " I lost one too, he was four." She understood. The hurt doesn't leave. "Can I pray for you?" I nodded, she prayed. Peace came, but for a moment.
He's gone.
"Can I go home?" More tests, more blood, more paperwork. "Now?" They agreed, we left. I wanted so much for this to be a dream. I wanted to wake up and everything still be as it was before the diagnoses. I could still feel him moving, but it was just my body. My body already trying to reject him, my baby. I kept rubbing my belly to comfort him, then stopped.
He's gone.
No sleep. I felt weak and scared. I felt hopeless and responsible. I didn't protect him, I couldn't protect him. If I had known I would have reached into my womb and untangled him. That kick I felt just days before, was that a struggle. Did he suffer? Did he? I collapsed to the floor overcome with grief. "It's time to go" he calls for me. I don't want to go. I don't want to let go. God, why? GOD? Nothing. Nothing but my own thoughts. Where are you? God, please. PLEASE....
HE's gone.
Gown, I.V, more paperwork. No monitor. No pink and blue strapped monitor. Nothing to monitor.
He's gone
Labor, thirty-one hours. Not long enough. I'm not ready. I can't let go yet. He's out, and there is no cry but my own. I look at him and his face looks sullen. He won't look at anything but me. Tears escape his eyes as he tries to be strong for me. They return and hand him the baby. He brings him to me. I look and I am overcome with love. My son, I am in love. I never got to say hello, and now I say goodbye. Too small, too soon, too late, now complete. He's complete and I'm broken. I wanted to go with him, for a brief moment. A part of me did.
He's gone
Empty arms returning home. Emptiness is all i felt. God . I need You more now then ever before. Are You there? I was filled with despair and rage. I wanted to throw something and hear it shatter. I wanted to hear the sound of my heartbreaking. Then exhaustion. I finally hit a wall and slept. Days of sleeping, I could dream of him, he was safe with me. Then I wake..
He's gone
Weeks pass and the pain weakens and then intensifies. I feel like I'm going out of my mind, no control, none. Numb, sadness, despair, anger, rage, hopeless, depressed and repeat. Long pauses between prayers, not sure what to say. What I asked for He didn't give me, so what do I ask for now? Peace.
He's gone
Then one by one they come into my life. One by one He sends me what I need. I haven't let go of him yet. I need to let go of him and let God do the rest. I keep holding onto the thought of him coming back to me. I keep thinking I will wake up and it will all have been a dream. The longest most intense, painful dream of my life. But alas, I'm awake and it's not a dream. I'm letting go now, but not of his memory. I'm letting go now. I love you my dear sweet Nathan. You grew within my womb and I felt you there. You don't live outside my womb for I met you there. You went home with Jesus and you live there. Forever in my heart, you'll be there.
He's Home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is so touching...I have tears in my eyes...(((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteI love you Nathan!!
ReplyDeleteHugs and Kisses,
H
You are right- you will never let go! He will ALWAYS be with you- be a part of you- Though he was gone that day- he was with you still- and he's with you now!
ReplyDeleteAgain- such a beautiful yet heart-wrenching post! I felt as I read that I was going in slow motion- when you would write 'he's gone'- I remember being there- my story was a flurry but then I kept thinking, "He's gone." It felt such a dream- everyone moving so fast and yet I felt I was floating...
Thinking of you friend-
Along with you on the journey!
Hugs-
L
I am so glad you commented on my blog... I found you and I have started to read yours and Nathan's story. I am so, so sorry for your loss. It's such an incredible pain... ache.
ReplyDeleteThis post is so powerful. Thank you for sharing such intimate details with us. I remember every single detail too... wishing you love and peace.
i am sitting here, crying quietly so I don't scare my daughter. she is 3 and will worry. but I wanted you to know that one more mom knows you story. one more mom has cried with you and one more mom knows your baby's name.
ReplyDeletelove.
This was a beautiful post. I am so sorry about your precious Nathan....
ReplyDeleteTears....and hugs....
Wow KC, that is such a beautiful and heartfelt post. Very well written.
ReplyDeleteIt was really nice talking with you today. I am so, so sorry that you are experiencing this. I am just weak. I wish there was something I could do to make this go away.
Please keep in touch. I hope we can meet soon for lunch. Hugs.
I saw your comment on Tonya's blog and had to come over here and tell you how sorry I am. How often I wish there was something more I could say...I remember the first few months so vividly. Everything felt like it scraped against my raw open wound. But God is with you. He is with you. and He loves you so much.
ReplyDeleteI am praying for you.
love,
ebe
Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I'm sure you would have done the same thing for me or another mom. I read your comment on Kelly's blog and realized that you needed that oranament more than me at this point in my grief journey. Your loss is so recent and your grief so raw...it does get better, but I'm convinced it never goes away. Turns out we were all winners! Sending you love, prayers and a (((BIG HUG))).
ReplyDeleteLove,
Tonya
This post is heartwrenching...and beautiful...
ReplyDeletePraying...